It seems like I haven’t written a post in ages… over a month is ages in the blogsphere, Seriously, Seriously, SERIOUSLY!! (Me and my Grey’s Anatomy moments, sorry couldn’t help myself, btw, the new season starts airing again on the 24th of April, YAAAAAAAAAAY ☺ )
My apologies, but this Dazed and Confused gal has been swamped, preoccupied, depressed, unmotivated and now royally confused!!! (That’s a first!)
Nonetheless, I have decided to look at the brighter side of things and appreciate the new chapter of my life that is about to start soon, whish me luck guys :)
In attempt to inflate my somewhat deflated ego, I am gonna partake in a bit of shameless promoting…BARE WITH ME , this is gonna be a long one !
1- Over 10,000 hits yaaaaaaaaaay, looking forward to the next 10,000 (better get
2- Saudi and the City is now tooting it. Toot is a selctive blog directory or at least i have
been told that lists diverse blogs from all around the Middle East. I was extremely
excited to be featured and encourage you to vote for Saudi and the City since voting
for myself isn’t landing me on the top 10 list !!!!
3- The always gracious The Seeker has been kind enough to award me with both the
thinker and you make my day awards. Thank you very much for always making my
day with such awards : )
4- Mr. Gabriel has written a review of Saudi and the City and posted on his blog. I was
suuuuuuper excited when he mentioned that to me and i rushed to his blog to read
my review. Surprise surprise, it was in GREEK !!!
being the self centered gal that i am , i had him translate his amazing and well
thought of review fetured below :)
She is Dazed and Confused just like her bloggish nickname : Dazed and Confused or DC as she signs. And how could she not be dazed and confused since she graduated from an American university and having no other choice but to obey her parents and the socioreligious status quo she had to return to her birthplace in Saudi Arabia just a year ago.
Has anyone of us ,actually, ever thought that it is illegal to drive because of your gender, to go out without an escort because of your gender, not to have anywhere to go out at night because of your gender, to run the risk of getting arrested because of the way you’re dressed?
The Dazed had to deal with all this and still does everyday and –as she writes- she would have gone off her head if she wouldn’t find her emergency exit through .. blogging.
No, this isn’t about a blog that depresses you. On the contrary, the only thing DC is left with (and that obviously is her most powerful weapon) is her effortless humor, confused (that , too) with frequent deathly thoughts. Every post is for us a window overlooking a financially powerful society that suffocates its citizens with its own wealth. Is it an oxymoron? Yes, at first sight, it is.
Her first posts were bitter and angry to some extent. Her studies granted her a comfortable life but at the same time predetermined, too. Despite all this, she isn’t so critical about her country’s leadership as she is about the citizens themselves, including herself too. “We are being controlled because we allow them to control us and are unwilling to stand up and fight for what we believe in and really want. We are too comfortable with the ways things are and aren’t willing to step away from our comfort zone to pursue a life and a dream we know nothing about”
So, in her first post she made a list of the 101 THINGS SHE WANTS TO DO BEFORE SHE DIES which I have copied word to word putting in bold letters the wishes that have a high degree of difficulty, in case she would like to fulfil them then.
1. adopt an orphan for each child I give birth to
2. attend a film premier
3. attend NYC's fashion week
4. become a famous international actress and win an award
5. become a hacker
6. become the first female president of Saudi Arabia
7. bid on something ridiculously expensive during an auction then pretend that I have alzheimer's
8. body paint
9. call all the people I don't like and tell them so
10. call all the people I love and tell them so
11. call my X and ask him if he ever really loved me
12. climb Mount Everest
13. date a celebrity
14. direct a movie
15. dive into a bowling alley
16. do laser hair removal
17. Do my M.B.A
18. do the Monopoly board pub crawl
19. Drive a formula one car
20. drive in Saudi Arabia
21. eat an entire chicken by myself with my hands like they do in the Egyptian movies!
22. exercise on a regular basis
23. fall in love
24. fart in an elevator then SCREAM who did it
25. get a 4 hand massage
26. get arrested and spend a night in jail
27. get stoned
28. go camping in the desert and the beach
29. go on a Safari (Desert Safari done, AMAAAAZING, Jungle Safari pending )
30. go on the Sex and The City tour in NYC
31. go to a movie theatre that's playing a horror movie and randomly grab people at very intense moments
32. go to Hajj
33. go to space
34. go to the love planet festival in Prague
35. grab a Mo6awa3 (religious police) from his lehya (beard) and threaten to demanilize him if he bothers any other girl again
36. grab a stranger , tell him he's my soul mate, kiss him then leave
37. have my own radio and/or TV. Show
38. have sex in a public place , preferably in an elevator (With my future husband if I get married. So thanks to anyone volunteering to help me out with this one but I’ll have to pass :)
39. hot air ballooning
40. join a TV reality show
41. jump from a waterfall then bathe under it 42. jump into a pool in a wedding dress
43. keep blogging for at least 5 years ( 1 down, 4 to go )
44. Knee George W.
45. lean how to ski, surf and sail
46. learn how to blow dry my hair
47. learn how to cook anything !
48. learn how to drive a manual car
49. learn how to drive a plane and a motorcycle (finally been on a motorcycle in Saudi !!)
50. learn how to play baloot, chess and poker (Poker done)
51. learn how to play the guitar
52. learn how to put make up properly
53. learn how to put on nail polish within the nail border!
54. learn how to Salsa , Meringue , Cha Cha ,Belly dance, Mambo and ball room dance like a professional
55. learn how to speak Italian , Spanish, French, Hebrew and Urdu
56. learn how to spell like an adult!
57. learn how to type properly
58. learn the names of all the countries including their capitals and languages spoken in each
59. mail a letter to a stranger and include $500 in the envelop. ask that person to add as much money as he/she would like then mail the money and the letter to another person in another country and do the same thing then mail me the status of the letter.when the letter has roamed the world the last person should mail me back all the money and the letter showing it's route and I then donate all the money to a charity ( this is to test people's greed)
60. master flash , Photoshop and illustrator
61. Max out my credit card (almost!!!)
62. memorize The Holy Quran
63. paraglide 64. participate in a treasure hunt
65. participate in a water gun war
66. participate in the largest human domino in the world
67. play a part in my favorite TV show
68. ride a Gondola in Venice with someone I love
69. Ride a horse on the beach (Does a Camel count!)
70. ride a wild horse
71. ride the luggage rolling trail
72. ride the subway for an entire day aimlessly and discover new places 73. ride the worlds biggest rollercoaster
74. run with the bulls in Spain
75. save someone's life
76. scream don't marry that person @ a wedding then run out
77. scuba dive the Barrier Reef
78. shave my head 79. shoot a gun
80. sing a duet with my favorite singer
81. skinny dip @ midnight 82. Sky Dive
83. spend an entire day as a man and see if I can actually get away with it 84. stage dive or crowd surf
85. stall traffic and refuse to move my car and when people ask me why I just say na7asa (cus. i can) !
86. start a revolution
87. start my own business
88. start my own clothing line
89. stay in an ice hotel
90. study the Kama Sutra and put theory into practice (again with my future husband people)
91. swim with dolphins
92. swim with sharks
93. take part in a police car chase
94. tell my parents that I'm pregnant and that I don't know who the father is just to see their reaction
95. travel the world and see the 7 wonders
96. volunteer in a refugee camp
97. watch all the movies that have won Oscars
98. wear the hejab (headscarf)
99. white river rafting
100. write a best seller preferably about the 101 things i did before i died and film it in a documentary :)
101. mail a letter of this list to my future self in 20 years
The Dazed seems to have made a bet with herself to find out if she can actually fulfil some of her wishes in a society which does not give her the possibility to have an “identity” and through tragicomic incidents of her everyday life-those as well as her faithful readers- realise that…
‘ something sucks in the Kingdom..’
I wonder when she will write her first book. Or is this, her book?
Blog’s title : Dazed and Confused
Favourite post : ALL OF THEM
For a start:
November 2006 and December 2006 posts
especially'is having a penis a prerequisite to living in Saudi Arabia?'
Country : Saudi Arabia
Language : English (fortunately..)
Thank you very much Gabriel for this review . I especially enjoyed the party about my deadly thoughts !!!!
Just a few corrections, I moved back to Saudi over 3 years ago and can go our without an escort despite my Gender : )
5- the review above ties perfectly with this point. Our own resident Blog perv , the one and only Mr. Dotsson tagged me in his “6 Things You Should Do Before You Die" post because he thinks i should stop asking my readers what they think and start thinking for myself !!!
This is an interesting tag, and here goes:
1. Post these rules before presenting your list.
2. List 6 actions or achievements you think every person should accomplish before turning 18.
3. There are no conditions on what can be included on the list.
4. At the end of your blog, choose 6, or less, people to get tagged and list their names.
5. The tagged peeps write their own blog entry with their 6 suggestions.
6. Leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged.
Well my dear Dotty , i have 101 of them listed above , beat that !
I tag , Mr. Agnon, Mr. Ahmed, Asswipe, eshda3wa, Gabriel and the seeker :)
Long one Ha......... i feel much better now, thank you very much :P